The toxicology tests have determined that PRINCE died of an accidental overdose of a painkiller called fentanyl. It’s a VERY powerful drug, which can help cancer patients deal with severe pain.
It’s 25-50% more potent than heroin, and 50-100% stronger than morphine . . . and it’s also been blamed for a spike in overdose deaths in the U.S. because it’s easy to become addicted to.
There aren’t any other new details, so it’s unclear how the drug was taken, why he was taking it, and whether he had a prescription. For what it’s worth, he made a few trips to a local Walgreens in the week before his death.
There had also been talk that he was addicted to Percocet, and that he’d been taking it to deal with hip problems . . . not as a recreational drug.
Prince was five-foot-three and 112 pounds at the time of his death, and his body was found fully clothed in the elevator.
The full autopsy and toxicology reports won’t be released, so this basically closes the book on his death.