Ever since PRINCE died, people have been telling stories about what a quirky, eccentric guy he was. Billboard.com has a huge collection. Some are old, some are new. Check out the highlights:
1. A former publicist said, “MADONNA showed up at Prince’s Radio City Music Hall gig in New York, front and center . . . near the end of the show, he looked right at her and said something like, ‘I can sing and dance at the same time. I don’t lip-sync.’ Whether it was in fun or not, Madonna ran out of the gig in a huff.”
2. Last year, QUESTLOVE Tweeted, quote, “Prince once fired me from a DJ gig in a nightclub and instead blasted the ‘Finding Nemo’ DVD on the screen.”
3. In 1978, Prince was doing an interview with a female reporter when he asked her, quote, “Does your public hair go up to your navel?”
4. Years ago, JONI MITCHELL said, quote, “Prince used to write me fan mail with all of the U’s and hearts that way that he writes. And the office took it as mail from the lunatic fringe and just tossed it!”
5. A writer for PopDose.com says that when Prince released a 12-inch extended mix of the song “Scandalous” from the “Batman” soundtrack, it included actual sounds of him and KIM BASINGER getting it on in the studio. They were dating at the time.
6. Prince’s first wife Mayte Garcia said, quote, “I wasn’t allowed to call him, ever. Even when we were married; I had to wait for him to call me. I’ve no idea why.”
7. In 1999, an unidentified Paisley Park staffer said, quote, “I literally saw him fire a guy for looking at him. He just said, ‘Why is that guy looking at me? Tell him to leave.'”
8. A friend who used to have lunch regularly with Prince in the early ’90s said, quote, “He would wear these beautifully tailored monochrome outfits. One time it would be red, the next time, purple. And he always had a Tootsie Pop that matched.”
9. TALIB KWELI Tweeted this about how Prince changed after he got religion . . . quote, “Once I was in a club with Prince in L.A. When 2:00 A.M. came, he kicked all the dudes out; it was just us and the women. Then he read from the Bible.”
10. (Careful!) In a new essay for “Billboard”, TRACY MORGAN talked about his friendship with Prince. And he ended with this potentially not-safe-for-work anecdote . . .
“Prince’s music taught me how to suck [boobies]! He taught me how to be gentle. Because of him, I once sucked a [boobie] for an hour. At the end, it looked like a tater tot. I love Prince.” (???)
(Okay, one last one: Here’s PINK saying she once called Prince a rude name right to his face . . . but she didn’t realize at the time he was trying to give her career advice.)