There’s been a lot of talk about whether or not LEONARDO DICAPRIO will finally win his first Oscar this year for “The Revenant”.
This is his fifth nomination, and even though he hasn’t won yet, he’s FAR from the only actor who’s been shut out.
The “Hollywood Reporter” has a list of ’20 of the Most Nominated Actors and Actresses Who Have Never Won.” These are all for ACTING, by the way. Leo could have gotten an Oscar for PRODUCING “Wolf of Wall Street”, but it lost Best Picture to “12 Years a Slave”.
1. Peter O’Toole. He scored eight Best Actor nominations but never won. That said, he did receive an honorary Oscar back in 2003.
2. Richard Burton. He got seven nominations and never won.
3. Glenn Close. She’s received six nominations, three for Best Actress and three for Best Supporting Actress. Two other old school actresses also got six . . . Deborah Kerr from “The King and I” and Thelma Ritter from “Miracle on 34th Street”. However, Deborah got an honorary Oscar in 1994.
6. In addition to Leo, the others to have five nominations are: Amy Adams, Alberty Finney, 1930s actress Irene Dunne, and 1950s actor Arthur Kennedy.
11. Those with four include: Warren Beatty, Annette Bening, Ed Harris, and Mickey Rooney. Warren won a Best Director Oscar for “Reds”, and Mickey was given an honorary Oscar in 1983.
To be clear, there are others with four, these are just a few selected ones.
15. And those with three include: Bradley Cooper, Tom Cruise, Johnny Depp, Sigourney Weaver, Matt Damon, and Mark Ruffalo. Although three nominations without a win isn’t a HUGE snub or anything. Not everyone can win.
Matt and Mark’s three include their nominations this year for “The Martian” and “Spotlight”, respectively. Again, these are Oscars for ACTING. Matt has one for writing “Good Will Hunting” with Ben Affleck.
Others that WEREN’T listed that have three and no wins include: Brad Pitt, Michelle Pfeiffer, Edward Norton, Nick Nolte, Angela Lansbury, and Kirk Douglas.